Rothesay Weekend of Cycling

Home Forums Press Bin Rothesay Weekend of Cycling

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dougie
    Participant

The first event at the Rothesay Weekend of Cycling 2021 was the Serpentine Hill Climb sponsored by Fyne Homes. The fastest FWCC rider up the hill was Sean Barron recording 2 minutes 28 seconds for 33rd position – somewhat unkindly the results sheet records his speed as 0mph, it looked a bit faster than that. Allan Duncan was 10 places back in 43rd in 2m43s and Scott Gourlay was FWCC’s 3rd finisher recording 3m15s for 62nd place. Completing the club’s representation was Steve Donaldson warming up for the 2up in the afternoon by finishing 70th in 5m04s.

Event two in the afternoon was the 2-Up Team Time Trial for the Jim McAlister Memorial Trophy sponsored by Janet McAlister. Our first team of Rob Graham and Sean crossed the line in 53m45s for an average speed of 22.326mph and 18th place. Next up were Jim Goldie and Scott who averaged 20.397mph for a time of 58m50s and 38th place. Steve and Dougie Macdonald caught Gordon Graham on the final hill before finishing in 44th with a time of 65m15s and an average of 18.391mph. (editor’s note – Gordon was spectating at the side of the road offering much needed encouragement) Club casualties were Allan and Callum Higgins who unfortunately suffered a puncture after only 4.5 miles and our mixed team blend of youth and experience, Charlie Nunn and Mikey Devlin, who didn’t make it to the start line.

There are unofficial accounts of a pub race on Saturday evening but in the best tradition of on tour reporting, what happens in Rothesay stays in Rothesay.

Sunday morning saw FWCC with only one rider in the 10 mile Time trial sponsored by Bute Backpackers. Allan Duncan was 28th in 24:42 for an average of 24.291mph. It’s a beautiful course with reasonably good road surface so it’s hard to explain why the whole field recorded times which would be well outside best performances – perhaps the dead turn at the ferry terminal at Rhubodach, or the long drag up at the end account for it but they didn’t affect the enjoyment of cycling amongst the best scenery Scotland has to offer. Our only other entrant, Gordon Graham, was sabotaged by his dentist on the previous Thursday and didn’t start.

In the Novice 20 mile Road Race, Dougie Macdonald failed to make the first group after the neutralised first mile but got into a group of 5 for a second tour round the island following Saturday’s 2up. In a desperate attempt to gain some credibility he won the sprint for 1st woman finishing in 17th (first and only 0-60) – unfortunately there were some issues with the timing chips and the Strava segments are not matched to the course, however, as a best estimate it looks like the time was 59m40s and an average speed of 32.8kmph. It was an exciting race to be a part of and, despite the inevitable presence of some ringers at the sharp end, I thoroughly recommend it as an introduction to bunch racing.

The last event to finish was the 40 mile APR – apologies if FWCC had riders in it that I haven’t reported on (feel free to add details if this is the case) but in my post race recovery mode I didn’t spot anyone in club colours and at the time of writing the results have not been published.

Even with the restrictions imposed by covid 19 and the impact that had on the social side of the weekend this was a great event. Perhaps next year I’ll be able to share the experience with a few more FWCC members!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Dougie.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Derek Skinner
    Participant

It is a great weekend. I have taken part 3 or 4 times and really enjoyed it. The TT course is slow with the turn and short but steep climb. And the APRs are great experiences – live and learn how to hang onto a group.

Hopefully be back next year.

Christopher Staples
    Participant

Well done Dougie, great to see a detailed report on the weekend.

Michael Allen
    Participant

Yes Dougie, great report
    Thank you

Mikey

Dougie
    Participant

I’ve just had a look back at this Mikey – apologies for getting your surname wrong! My friend Mike Devlin (of Aviemore Bikes) stayed over last night so I guess I was just still in that mode when I wrote this up this morning – at least I didn’t credit him with a new best performance!

guywalker
    Participant

Brilliant report!

Michael Allen
    Participant

Dougie
    Glass of red or two,whilst compiling 😅
    I knew what you meant,

Mikey

Mark Provan
    Keymaster

Great report, do you have any photos and I can stick this on the homepage?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mark Provan.
    Dougie
    Participant

first batch from the 2up

Attachments:
    Dougie
    Participant

next lot from the hill climb

Attachments:
    Dougie
    Participant

and a final 2 – steve and me in the 2up and me crossing the line in the novice RR

Attachments:
    Gordon Hugh Graham
    Participant

Thoroughly enjoyed reading the report Dougie. The Bute Wheelers put a lot into organising this weekend and good to see it well supported.

Aye, I chose the hardest bit of the 2-up for spectating… loads of pained faces and oddly one or two smiles 😁. Loads of people shouting thanks for the encouragement. Poor old Steve was yelping with pain… sounded like you were whacking him with your bike pump… or elbowing him in the ribs.. definitely inflicting some sort of cruel sadistic pain (as always, an inspirational ride Steve).

Having decent form I was desperate to ride Scotland’s most scenic 10m TT but the dentist’s instruction was ‘relax for a few days and DO NOT EXERCISE’… got to give the bovine bone graft and titanium screw the best chance of succes 🐄.

Well done all who took part.

Hopefully back to the teas, coffees, soup, cakes, sandwiches and a more sociable event next year.

Cheers, Gordon G.

Mark Provan
    Keymaster

Thanks all, there’s a post live on the homepage!

Rothesay Weekend of Cycling

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.