Majorca 312

Home Forums Press Bin Majorca 312

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Michael Allen
    Participant

Or own Mark Abrahart will take on the majorca 312 this weekend
    Mark has trained hard for this, and a few of us have done many a winter mile with him getting his endurance base
    312 km,in the hot majorca weather,with 15500 ft of climbing
    Basically the coast to coast mountain run in reverse to andraxt,another 2 climbs back to the flatlands, then it heads to arta ,which has stingly little climbs once at arta you will make the final cut off

After that you can see alcudia and the finish line 25 miles away
    All routing for you at Fwcc,no matter how bad you are feeling, keep eating and pedalling, and enjoy the grand adventure

Mikey

Allan Duncan
    Participant

Allan the best Mark. Hopefully everything goes well for you šŸš“

Jim Goldie
    Participant

Good luck Mark, easy on the first half and enjoy the second. The hills can kill your legs early on, but I know the work you have put in and you are prepared.

Dougie
    Participant

the preparation has been good, I don’t think you will need luck but best of luck anyway!

David_Bartley
    Participant

All the best MarkšŸ‘. David

Peter D Mclardy
    Participant

Total respect on your effort mate, you will smash it, will be checking how you get on, good luck šŸ‘

Philip Murrison
    Participant

Good luck Mark. You’ve done all the training so now it’s about enjoying the event.

Alan Broadfoot
    Participant

Good luck Mark, I don’t think you’ll need it though, your going strong.

Michael Allen
    Participant

We done mark Abrahart

Earned the Jersey

Mikey

George Gass
    Participant

Congratulations Mark some effort well done G

Catherine Logan
    Keymaster

Well done Mark

Stewart Beck
    Participant

Well done Mark! Brilliant!

Mark_Abrahart
    Keymaster

Thanks for all the messages of support. Just got back to Scotland in the early hours today so apologies for the late reply.

Glad to say thatā€™s Mallorca 312 ticked off the bucket list šŸ˜Š For those interested hereā€™s a little breakdown.

The event was Epic and lived up everything that Mikey, Martin, Mark and others had told me and I had read about. The 312 expo was great ( Mikey I have some socks for you ) and some eager Englishman had to get my personal unremovable 312 id wrist band forcibly removed from wrist before getting it attached to mine for the next 48 hours. The wrist band, race number and shirt numbers were all mandatory to stop the increasing number of freeloaders.

Up at 3am in PP, cycled down with Craig in the dark to the start in Playa de Muro, as the nightclubs in Alcudia were spilling out, to be in the red pen for 5.05 in the morning. Used my foil blanket to keep warm while waiting in the pen, and ditched it when we started moving, only to realise we were only filtering further down the road so ended up freezing on red pen start line for a while. Doh. Never mind you warm up quickly as you hit the many of the iconic climbs.

The official start was 6.30 but I didnā€™t get across the start line until 6.50 so the 1st cut time at mile 60 would come in to play at 11.15. Didnā€™t panic and kept the effort and HR under control up Col de Femenia and Puig Major and kept it safe on the windy decents, and decided to cycle past the cut off and make it to the 3rd stop to refill water and grab a bite to eat.

Overcooked one corner on the coastal road to Andratx but managed to straighten the bike and get round without drama. Guy 30 seconds behind me wasnā€™t so lucky and had a nasty smash in to the 2 foot wall that was the only thing protecting him from a hundred foot fall on the rocks below. With 8000 people in the event plenty of crashes and seemed like you witnessed punctures and mechanicals every few miles ā€“ reminded me of a FWCC weekend club run !

Probably relaxed too much for my next stop at Sa Granja at mile 98 and was guzzling my 2nd coke and 2nd sandwich when I saw the green jerseys ride by and looking at timings was 10 minutes behind. Made a mistake and only filled 1.5 bottles and as I set off knew Iā€™d need up the pace to make CUT 2 at mile 137. I got in to a group and me and another rider did big stints at the front managing to average over 20mph for the next 40 miles, which were at that point much flatter.

Was glad to make the 2nd cut and even happier to see a feed station at Ariany at 152 miles as Iā€™d been out of water for a good while. Mikey and others had told me about the party at Arta at mile 178, but it still takes you by surprise on the welcome and cheers when you cross in to the town. I stayed for a few minutes to soak up the atmosphere, grabbed a small refreshment, and then cycled to the finish 16 miles down the road.

The legs were fresh on the flat run in and had and had my family cheer me in over the finish line which was one of my highlights of the day.

Really happy with prep for the event (thanks to all the advice Iā€™d been given) and having the weight at 70kg on race day helped on the climbs, with fuelling and with the heat in the middle of the day. New bike with 30mm tubeless tyres was super comfortable in the later stages where it becomes more like Ayrshire lanes, and had zero issues.

Glad that those long early winter training miles in to the Ayrshire Alps with a few of the hardier (crazier ?) club members, building the base miles, paid off, and if we didnā€™t have rain Sunday and Monday would have been out riding again. Did manage a Sa Calobra run on Tuesday and the legs felt good.

Itā€™s definitely a bucket list event and well worth doing the full 312km, but now that Iā€™ve completed the full event, would maybe be more interested in doing the shorter 225km version next time as it has all off the same main climbs.

• This reply was modified 23 hours, 59 minutes ago by Mark_Abrahart.
    • This reply was modified 23 hours, 58 minutes ago by Mark_Abrahart.
    Derek Skinner
    Participant

Brilliant Mark – good to see that you are fit and healthy. Great achievement.

Dougie
    Participant

Great report on an epic ride – I’m pretty sure it’s the closest I’ll come to wxperiencing it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.